Film and TV Reviews

Friday 27 May 2016

Warcraft (Review)

Warcraft: The Beginning (Film Review) 2016


Warcraft: The Beginning is a 2016 fantasy film directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code).

Warcraft follows an ongoing battle between the human Alliance and the orc army Horde. The Horde create a magical portal to the human realm to conquer their world.

I received free tickets to the preview of Warcraft in the Savoy, and have to say I wouldn't have gone otherwise.

Warcraft is a mindless fantasy film designed solely for fans of action or the Warcraft franchise. I don't feel the film has the ability to stand on its own due to its low quality. I found the title, ''Warcraft: The Beginning'' to be over-confident, assuming box office success and therefore a sequel. I feel that the film is too weak to perform well a second time.

The plot was underdeveloped and was got convoluted easily. At some points during the film, I dropped my concentration and missed some plot points, and I have to say that I really didn't care. The film was so unengaging that I forgot most of the characters' names and felt hardly anything towards them.

The film wasn't complete trash. While I am not a fan of the fantasy or sci-fi genre, the CGI and visual effects were quite good. I felt that some of the visual effects, such as the spells used by some characters, were very impressive. Some of the characters also had interesting CGI designs. Although, the CGI was extremely excessive at some points.

Warcraft can be described simply as fun and mindless. The former only applying if you're a massive fan of this sort of film.

I give Warcraft: The Beginning 4/10.

Runtime 123 minutes (feels twice as long), rated 12a.





No comments:

Post a Comment