Film and TV Reviews

Saturday 16 April 2016

Hush (Film Review) 2016

Hush (Film Review)


Hush is a 2016 home-invasion horror film directed by Mike Flanagan and starring Kate Siegel.

Hush follows a very well-known home-invasion formula, but with one major difference, the homeowner is deaf.

I felt that the difference, while impressive, isn't as impressive and risky as some viewers claim. The formula of the film is very, very identical to almost all other films of the genre. I think the film could have taken more of a risk, possibly by muting or muffling sound effects, which the film did not do. I feel that the film did add some elements to the plot which separate it from other home-invasion movies, but not enough in my opinion.

There are no complaints about the acting or scariness aspect, only the basic plot and the sometimes questionable or unrealistic aspects to the actions of the characters.

I have to comment that I definitely enjoyed watching Hush. It is definitely an entertaining movie for anyone to watch in groups around Halloween, or alone. I do admire the deafness aspect of the film, and is probably the first strong deaf character I've ever seen in a film, which is a positive.

I would give Hush 6.5/10.

Rated 15, runtime 87 minutes

Currently streaming on Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment